Heading to a nice dinner this weekend to continue your New Year's celebration? You can still maintain your 2014 weight loss resolution and enjoy your evening out with this simple tip that has helped me drop more than 50 pounds and keep it off for more than a decade.
What is it? When it comes to ordering your food, think two....appetizers that is. Order an appetizer, salad, soup or side as your, well, appetizer and another appetizer as your entree.
We know that restaurant portions are way too big. Appetizer portions are just about right and, many times, more interesting than entree offerings. If your dining companion is eating a full entree with side items, have a bite or two. It's much more fun to share AND you won't miss the extra calories of a full portion.
Here are some real world examples:
|Al Biernat's Menu|
- Mozzarella, Amelia's Farm Tomato, Avocado, Basil, Balsamic Demi salad to start followed by Steamed P.E.I. Mussels & Littleneck Clams in White Wine (my personal favorite)
- Soup of the Day followed by Teriyaki Marinated Natural Texas Quail, Roasted Mushrooms & Pickled Ginger
- Baked Goat Cheese, Portabella Mushrooms & Sweet Garlic with Al's Salad (another favorite).
- Focaccia bread plate followed by the Grilled Artichoke.
- Couscous and seasonal vegetables, ordered together.
|Courtesy Maggiano's Little Italy|
- You could start with one of their side items like that Asparagus, Spinach or Broccolini (ask them to go light on the oil) and have the side order of Angel Hair Aglio Olio as an entree
- Tuscan Chicken Sausage & Orzo Soup followed by the Tomato Caprese salad.
- Bruschetta followed by the Jumbo Lump Crabcakes
- Start with Stuffed Mushrooms and have the Chicken & Roasted Pepper Flatbread