Finding a Paris apartment is not easy. It is a great option if you're going to be in Paris for an extended period of time but getting it right can be a challenge. Here are just a few of the questions you should ask an apartment service:
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Do you charge for electricity?
- Do you offer maid services?
- Do you have air conditioning? Many don't. If it's a hot summer, you will suffer.
- What time can I get into the apartment?
- What happens if I lose the keys?
- Do you have an emergency service if something breaks?
- Do you allow children? Some don't.
- Will you offer an apartment walkthru to show me how to use the unfamiliar Parisian appliances?
- Will you provide concierge services: help with side trips, reservations, etc?
I ask friends who had rented apartments in Paris. They suggested all the usual suspects: VRBO, AirBNB, Homeaway, Haven in Paris, etc. I consulted Travel and Leisure magazine's awards issue and saw they suggested Guest Apartment Services for Paris apartments.
After much research, wrangling and debate, we decided to go with Guest Apartment Services. I like the gorgeous and hip options Haven in Paris offered but Guest Apartment Services fit our location and pricing needs better.
Approximately two weeks before our trip, we received an email from Christophe, one of Guest Apartment Services owners, who informed us that there would be renovation work on the building during our stay. There would be scaffolding surrounding the structure and noise from 8am until 5pm every day. Not great if you have a baby.
|Snowdrop living and dining room|
|19 Quai de Montebello|
So how was it?
Chic, fabulous and well-situated. It was also large enough to accommodate two adults and a baby with a sufficient kitchen that allowed us to brew coffee, have breakfast and enjoy the morning.
|Our morning view of Notre Dame|
|Alternate view of Snowdrop living and dining rom|
|Alternate street view from Snowdrop|
|Our Snowdrop bedroom|
|Gorgeous evening view of Notre Dame|
I would rent from them time and again. I love that they were proactive in informing me there was work being done on our original apartment choice. They stayed in contact with us throughout the trip to ensure our needs were met.
Here are some additional tips to help you determine which Paris apartment service is right for you:
- Spend time doing homework and researching options. Ask friends, consult websites, blogs and magazines.
- Determine a central location that you want to serve as your home base for your stay. That is a good starting point.
- Find something that fits your aeasthetic. See if the service's style "feels" right. Each service offers something different: classic, contemporary, budget, luxe.
- Google the service. I read review upon review of Guest Apartment Services. Each one was effusive in praising the company.